JUDY FROM THE BLOCK

JUDY FROM THE BLOCK

About Me

My photo
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Retro wifey, mommy to a princess, editor, PETA fanatic, and I Love Lucy!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

What, Pre-K already? She was just born yesterday, right??


Recently, Oprah did an interview with Drew Barrymore (actress and new mom): 

Oprah:  "What is it like being a mom?"
Drew:  "It's like the worst crush of your life!"

Due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, Desi Doo's doctor has decided it is time for her to start Pre-K.  What???? Instantly, I heard someone screaming extremely loudly in the doctor's office, and then I realized, it was ME!  Did he say "school?"  I'm not prepared.  I'm not ready.  I'm not sure about this.  I'm sure she isn't ready.   

After the loud screaming stopped, I managed to compose myself like the lady I was brought up to be.  Then I realized, it was ALL about me!  Not about what is best for Desi.  It was my "selfish" voice doing all the talking, and mighty fast talking I might add.

I mean yesterday she had a bottle and a pacifier; okay, it wasn't yesterday, but it sure feels like it when you are watching your child grow up so fast.  I wasn't ready.  Nobody prepared me for this.  I just thought she could sit behind me in her swing forever while I worked.  I mean, if it's not broke, don't fix it.  Right?  Who gave these "little people" permission to grow up and be independent?  I sure as hell didn't.

This must be how my mom felt when she sent me off to Kiddies Kingdom for the first time 44 years ago.  And now, 44 years later, I am sending my own daughter to Kiddies Kingdom.  How did this happen?  Yesterday, my mom was rocking me in her arms.  No wait, that was me rocking Desi in my arms.  No wait, that wasn't even yesterday....

Time flies so quickly.  I've learned more about "love" in the last 3 years than I ever knew.  I mean, I love my husband, but there is something so different about the love of your child....









 Princess Desi
princess pictures






I guess she is ready.  It's mommy and daddy who isn't really ready! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment