JUDY FROM THE BLOCK

JUDY FROM THE BLOCK

About Me

My photo
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Retro wifey, mommy to a princess, editor, PETA fanatic, and I Love Lucy!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

DEDICATED TO MY "BREAST" FRIEND

I think all of us have been touched in one way or another by someone who has suffered from or is suffering from breast cancer.

My mother was a breast cancer SURVIVOR!  I remember the day very well when my mom told me and my sister she found a "lump."  We were at the movies watching "Steel Magnolias" and mom just leaned over and whispered it into our ears.  I think she thought that was the best way (in the dark and somewhere we couldn't scream outloud) of breaking some possible very bad news.

A week later, her surgeon was 95% positive, without a biopsy, that it was in fact cancer.  She bypassed the biopsy and went straight to surgery.  She told the surgeon, "when you get in there, if it is cancer, remove the entire breast, do not wake me up."  And so it was....

She did in fact have Stage I breast cancer, caught early, no involvement in the lymph nodes.  She needed no chemo or radiation, but was on, at the time pretty much an experimental drug, Tamoxifen which she took for the recommended 5 years.  She remained cancer free!  She beat the odds!


Mom and her Sissy, my Aunt Lois (Mom is the one with the ribbon on)

My Aunt Lois, unfortunately, did not survive her breast cancer.  Though she too found a lump, she chose not to say anything to anyone (even knowing ALL my mom went through).  To this day, I don't why she didn't speak up!  Her daughter, a registered nurse, her grandson, a registered nurse.  Unfortunately, it quickly spread to her bones and she died shortly thereafter.  The hardest day of my mother's life :(


TIMING IS EVERYTHING!


With that said, the one thing I had not experienced YET, was a "friend," a "dear friend," a wife, a mom, an educational genius - someone my age -
being diagnosed with double breast cancer.  Why?  I don't know.  Cancer rears its ugly head when it feels like it.  One thing I have learned is when it touches someone you care deeply about, it creates a "cancer" inside of you!  They may feel like they are suffering alone, but THEY AREN'T! 


It's a rollercoaster ride for your family, your friends, your church (or synagogue in her case), your job, and most important to her, being a wife and mom full-time, which is who she is before anything else!  I've known her for 30+ years, school days, and am blessed to have her in my life.  Since she has chosen to deal with this privately and has only shared with her family and friends (for which I feel "Honored" that she chose to share this with me), I will not be disclosing her name. 


She will be having her surgery at the beginning of June, next month.  She has made some very great choices about her surgery, double mastectomy with reconstruction, for which I stand by her decision wholeheartedly! 



Women agonize over cancer; we take it as a personal threat the lump in every friend's breast. ~Martha Weinman Lear, Heartsounds.




A letter to YOU my "breast friend".....

We’ve heard it over and over again: “Cancer sure helps you put life into better perspective.”  It’s really become quite the cliché.  But you know what?  I think you and me have had a pretty darned good outlook on life and the human experience, long before cancer invaded our bodies (mine may not have been breast, but a cancer survivor nonetheless).  We’ve always been strong women, fiercely determined wives and mommy's.  Our grit and resolve has likely propelled us to successfully maneuver through these trials and tribulations, and let’s not forget our abiding faith in God and the comfort we have found in Him. 
 
I love you, and in honor of you, I have proudly changed all my profiles to wear the pink ribbon for YOU, my "breast friend".  On the day of your surgery, as you're counting backwards to 10, but will only make it to 7 - anesthesia is the BEST - remember I pulled out my T-shirt I wore for my mom, that I will now proudly wear for YOU on your day my friend!
 
Love, Judy


Ladies, Have your annual mammograms!  Check your breasts regularly!

                             I FOUND THIS VIDEO TO MAKE HER SMILE!
















3 comments:

  1. That's a really touching post, really great! I'll share it with women I know because I think this is something they all will want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have an amazing heart your friend even without a name is in my prayers. I had a scare with breast cancer not too long ago and thank the good lord everything turned out ok but you are right it does put things into perspective.
    Im a new follower from mbc hope you have chance to check out my blog
    http://www.tamingmyhunger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breast Cancer really is tough to deal with. I'm glad someone has a friend like you to help them through it. Following you from MBC. Would love it if you would visit my page and LIKE it: www.facebook.com/flightlessgoose

    ReplyDelete