JUDY FROM THE BLOCK

JUDY FROM THE BLOCK

About Me

My photo
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Retro wifey, mommy to a princess, editor, PETA fanatic, and I Love Lucy!

Friday, April 15, 2011

REALITY CHECK!


SITCOMS have really become a thing of the past on television, am I right?  There are so few sitcoms left that I even watch, unless it's the old re-runs from past shows.  I got to thinking about this the other day and it made me sad.  I really am a comedy/sitcom kinda chicky.   As I said in a previous post, I am looking forward to the new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

DAYTIME TV, as well, isn't what it used to be when I was a kid.  You either watched a soap opera, a game show, or PBS.  Your pick!  Well, that's a thing of the past now too.  I am sure when Destini grows up she is going to ask me one day, "Mom, what was a soap opera?"  I'll respond, and then I'm sure she'll reply, "How lame."

THEN I got to really thinking about television and I realized something.  Guess what?  We have been watching reality TV far longer than we know we have been.  It's just that it's changed, tweaked a bit, and one might even say "raunchy."  Obviously, the viewers are into this (me included) because they get ALL the ratings.  I mean Jerry Springer has been on television now for about what 18 years or so; he has never won an Emmy, yet his ratings are over the top!  Go figure! 


BUT before Jerry Springer, we had Phil Donahue, Richard Bey, Sally Jessy Raphael, Jenny Jones, and Ricki Lake!  Think about it....reality drama!




















EVEN Oprah started off doing "drama" in her early years of her show, but she quickly moved into another direction, though it still is somewhat reality TV!



I for one stopped watching the daytime soap operas when I went back to college in the early 1990s.  Though, as my mom always said, you can stop watching a soap opera for 5 years and tune back in and pick right up where you left off, because not much changes!  It the same old story, they usually divorce, remarry, divorce, remarry, cheat with the ex and then remarry him again, then cheat on him and marry his brother!! 

DAYTIME TV for me turned into mostly reality TV court/judge shows!  I mean come on, it makes your family seem a little bit more normal when you hear some of those stories. 


SO as the story goes, I guess I had been watching reality TV during the daytime for a long time now; I just didn't know it was going to become a nighttime obsession too!  I always blamed it on the fact the sitcoms were dwindling away, so what else is there to watch.  I fought the fight for a while.  A lot of people would say to me, "Do you watch such and such (some type of reality show)?"  NO!  It's not for me!  Unfortunately, every time someone says that to me, I end up being a BIG liar without knowing I was even telling a lie.  The next thing I know I have "tuned in" just once to a show and then, I'm addicted!

I certainly didn't intend to get "stuck" on these programs, but I am!  And now there are so many that I watch, the list is endless.  I of course have my super favs, including the Kardashians! 

AND the spin-offs just kept coming, and I became more addicted to watching the DASH babes!


             THE cast of Jersey Shore!  I know, I know...but I can't help it!



                                                 16 and Pregnant/Teen Mom! 



               




   DANCING With The Stars! 









         BIG Brother House! 











HARDCORE Pawn (yeah make sure you read that right)! 












POLICE Women of MCSO (Maricopa County Sherrif's Office, here in Arizona)....LOVE THESE GALS!







            SISTER wives!










THERE are so many others that I watch, like the Apprentice (occasionally, not every season).  I also used to watch John and Kate Plus 8, but somehow I lost the umph...

I am really looking forward to the newest reality TV show premiering this weekend.  It's called....

                                          MOB WIVES!

             MAYBE I NEED A REALITY CHECKOR A REALITY SHOW....






No comments:

Post a Comment