JUDY FROM THE BLOCK

JUDY FROM THE BLOCK

About Me

My photo
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Retro wifey, mommy to a princess, editor, PETA fanatic, and I Love Lucy!

Thursday, July 15, 2010

GRAB A CHAIR, THIS IS GONNA BE A GAB FEST...

This month has been really long! The old phrase, "when it rains it pours" applies to just about everything this month for me. It started with the AC in the house going out. Well, it didn't actually go out, BUT it was going to. Our AC unit is about 8 years old, so not so bad. However, it seems like every year we are putting some kind of money into it. I DON'T trust mechanics of any kind anyway, so I'm always suspicious.  The box for the part that needed to be replaced was about 8" x 5", that's it.  The total of the bill....$836.00!!

Like I said, it seems like it is always in the summertime when BIG EXPENSES come around for us.  Summertime is not a good "financial time" in our household.  Both hubby and I have jobs that slow way down during the summer.  Both of us really depend on the "snowbirds" for our income.  For those of you who do not know what a "snowbird" is, they are those folks who only winter in Arizona.  They are escaping the snow for our beautiful Arizona winters.  With that comes a lot of business for my husband and I.  It seems the cycle never breaks for us though.  We try to save a little for the downtime.  We spend the winter time paying off our credit cards and building our savings, and then it always happens that in the summertime something MAJOR will always happen.  It would be nice if for just once we could have a summer without spending our savings for repairs or other day-to-day living expenses :(((

Then, of course, Desi is just one HUGE monster expense.  Do I mind?  ABSOFREAKINLUTELY NOT!  But a BIG expense nonetheless...

And on top of that, I have really been on a kick lately about groceries.  We all know we are in "tough times" and they keep saying they are lowering the prices on food....WHERE?  Okay, so you cut the price on a 12-pack of Pepsi by $1.99, but you raised the price on a loaf of bread from $1.89 to $2.99.  Stop blowin smoke up my butt, that's all I'm sayin...

The cable bill went down $6.00 three months ago for something or rather, but this month we get a letter that they are raising our bill by $7.50 for something or rather...

Where's the good news you ask?  Well our car insurance on renewal this year went down $16.00!  Yep, that's all I got for ya...

Well, now that I got that off my chest, I should really be more thankful for the blessings of having a home to live in, food to eat, cars to drive, cable to watch, and this baby to love ♥

When you work from home, people think you MUST have a lot of time on your hands.  Well, I am here to tell you that you DON'T!  I do have to punch a time clock just like everyone else does out in the big corporate world.  I work in a "virtual world," but working from home probably takes more discipline than getting up and getting dressed and getting out the door.  It came to a point I had to stop answering the phone sometimes, because even though they knew what my hours of work are, they still wanted to stop by or call! Don't misunderstand me, I love to talk on the phone and I love to socialize if you come by; just do it when I am NOT working.  I work in the late afternoon until about 10pm, which of course is prime time hours for others who are getting off from work and ready to play.  My day however, is just beginning.  My hours of play time are in the mornings and early afternoons, but nobody can play at that time because they are at work! I respect when they are at work, I wish they would respect mine.  Hint Hint Junebug's family :))

This week, I have been battling a summer cold.  Nothing major, just enough to annoy me.  First day was a sore throat, by the next day, sneezing, runny nose, cough (irritating one too).  Still the cough is lingering.  I cannot stand to be sick, only because I am not a person who can sit still or lay in bed all day.  If I try to lay in bed, I will think of the million things I should be up doing and that mama's and wifey's don't have time to lay down.  Hubby said, "take it easy, I can handle this."  A skeptic by nature, I said "mmmmhmmmmm."  Here's why...

He put a load of laundry in the washing machine WITHOUT first taking a receipt out of his pocket that he had in a pair of his shorts.  The baby POOPS, he brings her to me on the bed to change her...hmmmm.  He goes to the store to get me some medicine for my sore throat, runny nose and cough; he comes back from the store with some medicine that is for a sinus headache, allergies and congestion.  Okayyyyy!  The cat threw up some tuna in the hallway, he comes to me and asks, "what should I do?" Ummmm, clean it..duh!  And last but not least, he says earlier in the morning that he's gonna make me some of the best homemade chicken noodle soup I ever had.  I can't wait!  Sooooooooo when he brings me my chicken noodle soup, it looked a little like this:
I think he left some ingredients out!
And so, the moral of my story is....MAMA'S and WIFEY'S, sick or well, DO NOT STAY IN BED!!!


My good friend Star has started her own book club.  If we didn't live so dern far away from each other, I would certainly have loved to join.  I do, however, get to live vicariously through her readings of these great books she finds to read by following her blog at: laughingthroughparenting.com.  I stopped reading books after the Internet became the biggest thing in the world, but shame on me!  I have never been a big fan of fiction....me likes me nonfiction.  Well, since I follow Star's blogs every week, I see how many wonderful books she has read, and her latest (Firefly Lane) just really caught my eye for a few reasons, BUT mostly because it is about two friends from our generation.  I was so intrigued that I had to go and shop for it and get my read on.  I haven't started it yet, but intend to begin this weekend.  If it is as good as it looks, it should take no time to finish. I will keep you posted....


DID YOU SAY STARBUCKS? WHO SAID STARBUCKS?

I have a horrible, horrible monkey on my back!  It's coffee!  Nooooo, it's Starbucks coffee!  Nooooo, it's just Starbucks period!  Is there a Starbucks rehab? My life has never been the same since these folks moved into my town.  And it's not just the coffee, I also love me a good strawberry frappe too!  My habit can get costly you know, so I finally decided to turn my OWN kitchen into my personal Starbucks.  I started buying my own Starbucks coffee and brewing it myself.  It really really does smell like Starbucks around here in the morning!  My FAV coffee in my FAV cup:


I felt it best to NOT learn how to make the strawberry frappe and just make that my "treat" for when I pass by a Starbucks now and again.  Wise thinking!

Desi Doo is gettin soooo darn fat! I didn't think I would ever say that about her. She has always been this little petite baby, and NOW...chunka chunka!  Can u say cheeks for days????   

She's a super good eater.  Not fussy.  The ONLY thing she don't like are peas.  Bummer, we are a pea-eatin family.

Also, Desi is getting not just 1 but 2 teeth.  Drool baby, in fact she got Bug in the mouth (grosssss) when he was tossin her in the air.  HA HA! I tried about 40 times to get a good shot of the inside of her mouth, but lets just be real about it, they don't cooperate with that kinda stuff very well.  OR DIGGING IN HER NOSE!
2 Teefers

I CAN NEVER GET ENUF OF THEM:


















SHE PULLED HERSELF UP FOR THE FIRST TIME:

video

My only real ME TIME this past couple of weeks was getting a pedi:


Tonight for dinner, it was a lasagna and garlic bread kinda night.  I totally cheated.  It was Stouffer's!  Really good stuff.  I made some corn too.  I don't know if corn really goes with lasagna, but whenever and wherever I can squeeeeeeeze in a veggie, I WILL!



For dessert, I made smoothies.  I cheated again! 
Inside the bag are 5 individual packs of frozen fruit and frozen yogurt pieces (1pk makes 2 smoothies).  It calls for milk, which is what I did today....DEELISH! But I was thinking of getting creative and next time just add ice in the blender and see what I get.  I know you can add juices if you want, but I am most curious how it would be with just ice.  I think it is sweet enough, but if you wanted to add more sweetener, I am thinking a Splenda packet would be just great!



Until we meet again....

No comments:

Post a Comment