JUDY FROM THE BLOCK

JUDY FROM THE BLOCK

About Me

My photo
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Retro wifey, mommy to a princess, editor, PETA fanatic, and I Love Lucy!

Saturday, June 19, 2010

REMEMBERING DAD ON FATHER'S DAY


REMEMBERING DAD ON FATHER'S DAY....
JIMMIE LEE ROGERS
Like so many of us, I will be missing my dad this Father's Day. When a girl's daddy dies, there is a hole in her heart that no other man could ever fill. However, although physically erased, their memories and wisdom live on in us FOREVER. The first male role model in our life is our father. My father was by no means without imperfection, but to a daughter...he's just about everything and most perfect in our eyes. Dad is the "Head of the House." Nobody has to tell you that, it's just observation as we grow up. I never wanted for anything. I never had to ask twice. If you wanted it, dad would provide it. Seemed so simple. As an adult, we NOW know the huge sacrifice a father makes to provide for his family.
Here's one of my favorite pics of my dad because IT IS who he was for 40 years, a car dealer...

Over the span of those 40 years, dad went from being a car salesman, to a general manager, to owning his own car lots. Dad was a HELL-A-VA salesman. He had a "hustle mentality," and his car lots thrived! Although mom and dad could have lived in Scottsdale, Arizona or Sun City, Arizona later in life, they just wouldn't move away from the west side of Phoenix. Mom and dad believed wholeheartedly in saving a good dollar, or 2, or 3...

When dad was growing up, he was very poor. He is 1 of 7 children. He lived on a farm in a little town called Dyess, Arkansas. If you have ever seen the movie "Walk the Line," the life story of Johnny Cash, then you HAVE SEEN THE TOWN. My dad went to school with Johnny, played guitar with Johnny, they were school chums. We never got tired of listening to stories about Johnny. I like to think now that dad is up there in heaven "pickin and grinin" with Johnny, just as he would have wanted it...
 My father had his first "stroke" at the age of 40. He REFUSED to stop fighting though. He still managed to continue for years with his business, with a lot of extra help, until his second stroke, then third, then fourth, and he was now paralyzed. He could not even write a check any more. His speech was worse than a child's gibberish. He knew he couldn't beat this one. My dad, however, went on to live for another 15 years with his scooter (we called it his caddie). He was going to be mobile damn it, some how, some way!!! This picture was taken 6 months before he died at the age of 68...
My whole life my dad never called me Judy. He either called me "Jude" or "snoopy" or just "snoop." My dad was a funny, funny, funny guy who loved a good joke and could tell a good joke. You weren't really sure what kinda joke was gonna come out of that mouth sometimes though, so you just braced yourself for just about anything. Mom would get so mad at him....hee hee hee. Although he has told me sooooo many riddles and jokes over the years, there is still that one that a daddy's lil girl just can't never forget...."HEY JUDE, PULL DAD'S FINGER!"
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY DAD!

No comments:

Post a Comment